Sunday, January 13, 2008

Fish!

So school begins tomorrow! Of course I'm still in the holiday mood. I just came home from buying fish with my mum -- live fish, that is. After three years of breeding guppies, I've decided to stop, mainly because the last batch (both adult and youngster guppies) died suddenly like three per day within a few days, possibly because I had accidentally over-chlorinated the water. C'mon, I won't deliberately kill my pet fish ok!

Anyways, I got 10 large neon tetras, 5 balloon platys (3 males and 2 females -- yes I know how to differentiate them), 3 sterbia corys (bottom-feeders) and a pair of Shubunkin goldfish. I didn't want to buy more, because I've only got a humble 2-foot tank.

I have kept neon tetras before and I know they are pretty hardy. I have bred balloon platys before and only got one offspring. I haven't kept the bottom-feeders before, but I have kept feeder goldfish before, one of which grew to a good size before it died. Haha. So yup, I'm hoping that the Shubunkins will do well too. =D

My mum refuses to let me keep suckerfish anymore, ever since Monster the humongous suckerfish died two weeks after Nelly died.







Here's Monster, my pet suckerfish which I had kept for 2.5 years. It grew to more than twice its size, which was really unexpected. I really like keeping bigger-sized fish in addition to breeding small fish, because then I can track the number of months/years that I've kept it.

I've just observed the new fish and they seem to be adjusting, although the Shubunkins and sterbia corys are still quite shy. I shall observe them for the next couple of days and see how it goes. =))

Hope the first week of school goes well and that I picked good (read: fun and interesting) modules! Enjoy the week, y'all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home